Thousands of people suffer work-related injuries and illnesses every year in the U.S. It doesn’t matter where you work or what type of job you perform–you could suffer a work-related injury, too. If you are injured at work, you could be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits.
But, the laws regarding workers’ compensation benefits are complex, and obtaining these benefits is harder than it may seem. For these reasons, anyone who is injured at work in the Chicago area should contact a Chicago personal injury attorney to discuss their legal options.
WHAT IS WORKERS’ COMPENSATION INSURANCE?
The law in Illinois requires most employers to obtain workers’ compensation insurance coverage for their employees. This insurance pays benefits to employees who have been injured at work to cover expenses such as portion of lost wages and medical expenses. The job-related injuries that are covered by workers’ compensation insurance include:
- Injuries caused by the repetitive use of a body part at work.
- Occupational diseases.
- Injuries sustained in workplace accidents.
- Pre-existing conditions made worse by work.
Injured workers may qualify for several different types of workers’ compensation benefits, including:
- Temporary Total Disability: these benefits are paid to workers who are unable to work during their recovery.
- Temporary Partial Disability: these benefits are paid to workers who cannot perform their pre-injury job during their recovery, but can perform other forms of light work.
- Permanent Partial Disability: these benefits are awarded to workers who are permanently disfigured or disabled in some way, which prevents them from returning to their pre-injury job, but they can still perform some type of work.
- Permanent Total Disability: these benefits are awarded to workers who are permanently disabled as a result of their injuries and unable to perform any type of work.
Other types of benefits may be awarded to injured workers, including vocational rehabilitation benefits, which help injured workers learn new skills so they can find new employment.
WHAT ARE THE WORKERS’ COMPENSATION LAWS IN ILLINOIS?
The Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act is applicable to most employers and it requires them to provide workers’ compensation coverage for their employees. However, insurance companies and employers have been known to utilize unfair and illegal tactics that place the injured employee at a disadvantage.
Insurance companies and employers have used tactics such as denying a workers’ compensation claim, discouraging an employee from seeking a second opinion, undervaluing a worker’s losses in terms of lost wages, and pressuring a work to return to work before they are ready. If you have been faced with these tactics, a Chicago personal injury lawyer can fight for the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT PHILLIPS LAW OFFICES TO DISCUSS YOUR CASE
Those who are suffering from an injury due to a work related incident deserve legal assistance from a firm that has a history of success. If you’ve been injured, turn to the skilled workers’ compensation attorneys at Phillips Law Offices.
In order to determine if one’s case requires a personal injury lawyer as a result of a work related injury, contact Phillips Law offices. Phillips Law Offices is located at 161 N Clark St #4925, Chicago, IL. The Chicago law office can be contacted via phone at (312) 346-4262 or via their website to receive a free consultation with an attorney.
Hire Personal Injury Attorney In Chicago
How Common is Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect?
What is Medical Malpractice Insurance? How Does it Work?
How Do You Prove an Accident Caused Your Back Injury?